Here's the thing, this week I'm not really missing Texas. The weather has been nice, we only have like sevenish weeks left of school, and I'm able to go running again. So like, I'm pretty good here. Yeah sure, I haven't seen my parents since January and I sort of miss them, and yeah, I can't wait to see my old school friends at the end of May. But for the moment, Penn State is keeping me occupied. So this week, instead of focusing on what I miss about Texas, I've decided to write about what I don't miss about Texas. Haha Plot twist.
Texas isn't perfect, it's far from perfect. I spent the better part of my life wishing for the day I could leave Texas and never go back. So here's a list of things that I don't miss about Texas
1. Traffic.
Wow if you feel me raise your hand. In highschool, every morning of my senior year, I spent an hour in the morning driving to school, and an hour in the afternoon driving back from it. I remember my head falling to the side, eyes closing, as I drowned in the background noise of sports radio. And I'm a pretty optimistic person, I try and look at things with a good attitude. So I would try and lie to myself. I would say, oh I like traffic, it gives me time to think. Time to be alone and listen to music. But that's a lie. I don't like traffic. Nobody likes traffic. It sucks. And Dallas always has traffic. And I'm the kind of person that never leaves enough time to get somewhere if traffic is bad. So if I hit it and I'm supposed to be at work in fifteen minutes, the entire time I'm just one ball of stress trying to get there one time.
Oh Traffic, how I loathe thee.
2. Cowboy Boots
We don't all ride horses. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think the last time I rode a horse was when I turned eight and got it into my head that a horse-back riding birthday party was what I wanted. It was cool but honestly not even the best part of my birthday that year.
So we don't horseback ride. And yet, cowboy boots are a staple in every girl and boy's closet. How many themed-events did I go to that needed cowboy boots? Too many too count. And did I ever invest in a pair of really uncomfortable, really not my style footwear? No because I'm not a poser and I hate cowboy boots. I don't like the way I look in them and I don't like how everyone has a pair. It's just so Texan. It makes me want to heave.
3. Not getting to pick the music in the car
This is such a weird and specific thing but it's absolutely true. I never get to pick music if I'm riding in anyone else's car. Sometimes I don't even get to choose in my car. My friends and family basically strong-arm control of the radio dials and very rarely do I get to choose what tunes I want to play. While I do admit being in charge of the background music holds an important job, I think I'd be up for the task if given the opportunity.
No comments:
Post a Comment