Eh, sort of, because then today it was snowing dandruff.
Well, at least it's gonna be March!
I know I already talked about weather for one of my posts, so this is not going to be a post about Texas weather, but specifically about how much I miss spring time in Texas right now, as I wait patiently for Pennsylvania to reward me for putting up with its winter season. It's the whole seasonal vibe.
The only spring I can remember hating was in the 7th grade when I got put on academic probation by my headmistress and I wasn't allowed to play softball. You may ask yourself, how does a twelve year old get put on academic probation? You know because middle school matters so much in the long run. Probably had something to do with my To Kill a Mockingbird Project, which was just a poster-board that I drew lots of mockingbirds on. I didn't really understand the assignment.
But every spring since then, I have absolutely loved. I mentioned that I played softball four sentences ago. Ah yes, softball=spring. It's one of the few sports I've ever excelled at. I've been playing it for years, since I was about nine. And you know how some families have a certain sport that they gravitate around? My family gravitates around softball. Everyone in my family plays. Even my step-brother.
I remember in the 8th grade, I was the short-stop. Oh those days. I remember this time I caught the ball with my backhand and the crowd was cheering. I remember playing it up a little bit, because I did not think I was going to get the ball. Divine intervention. The sun was in my eyes, I couldn't see a GD thing. I just stuck my glove out, and I miraculously caught it. Of course I didn't tell anyone that. My dad asked me, "Did you mean to do that?" And I go, "Duh, I'm the shortstop, it's kind of my job."
Another spring that sticks out in my mind? Tenth grade. My friend got her license at the very beginning of March. I discovered a lot of my favorite bands in her car that year. I remember the time she kidnapped me from my house and told me we were going to the movies. We did not go to the movies. She took me to the neighborhood of this boy she liked and we stalked his house for two hours. She cried most of the two hours because he didn't like her and thought she was weird, and I said it was probably because she did stuff like this. We were listening to this album, Crazy for You, by Best Coast, for the the first time. A band that is forever my favorite now, and I always smile a little when I listen to them because I remember comforting my friend and making her laugh even though she was so sad about this dumb boy who is still dumb to this day.
Last spring was pretty phenomenal too. Did I have a blast at prom even though I hated my dress and forgot to bring a bra to the afterparty so I was stuck wearing a friend of mine's 'sticky-boobs'? Heck yeah. Will my reign as captain of the softball team go down in history (*similar to the Queen of England, I was simply a figurehead, but whatever)? You bet your lunch money it will. Did I get into college? I DON'T KNOW, DID I?
I mean, you guys all graduated from high-school too, right? Best moment of my life. Walking across the stage, hearing cheers and the satisfyingly loud bellows from blow-horns that aren't and never will be allowed at these ceremonies (who follows that rule? nerds?) from some friends of mine. Taking pictures with everyone you've ever been sort of friends with. I even got a picture with my high-school crush. Thems the small victories.
And then going to our graduation party later that night. I had work the following morning, but I didn't want to sleep that night. My friend and I went straight from our graduation party to a friend's house and then after that, we just walked around his neighborhood with blankets on our shoulders, laughing and crying. Well she was crying, as per usual. She cries a lot. At about six in the morning we decided to take a quick nap in her car. I was so exhausted at work later that day, but it was worth it.
The funny thing is that I won't spend another spring in Texas for about four years. Maybe even longer, depending on what I decide to do after graduation. I'm still trying to decide if working on a cruise ship will be as fun as it sounds. Hey maybe later in life, instead of missing spring time in Texas, I'll miss springtime in Pennsylvania. Who knows? I don't!
I'm struggling to find the right words to describe how I feel about this post. I feel like your experiences come from the heart, and it's all so humorous that I couldn't stop smiling. What a fantastic post. Wow.
ReplyDelete