Thursday, April 14, 2016

Texas? More like Tex-Mex!! Amiright?

We all love and eat the specific foods of our regions. Who doesn't love clam chowder in Boston or in San Francisco! But I'm not here to talk about other places, I'm here to talk about Texas, greatest country, I mean state, on the planet. Or at least in the contiguous United States, because Hawaii is pretty cool in my opinion. So is Alaska, but that is for other reasons, including Sarah Palin, who is a riot, and other legal aspects of the state.

So I'm going to introduce you to some foods that you may or may not realize are staples of Texas cuisine. Kid Cuisine (do you guys remember those!! The Penguin meals!!).

1. Breakfast Tacos
I was chatting with a friend, talking about the wonders of a breakfast taco when she stopped me mid conversation, to ask me, what a breakfast taco was. Now, it's basically what it sounds like. It's just breakfast in a taco, I'm talking eggs, bacon, chorizo, potato, more egg. All laid in a flour tortilla (or a corn tortilla if your into that sort of thing). Then you eat it with salsa and you cry because you know that life will never get better than that. Of course your best bet at getting authentic, and just delicious breakfast tacos is to wander around till you find any random hole-in-the-wall place, but if you ain't got time for that, just go to Taco Cabana. But fair warning that their tortillas will put you into a healthy food coma. But those tortillas are so warm and so thick. Ah, perfect.  


2. Frito pie
Do ya'll know what Frito Pie is? I actually forgot about that tasty dish until just a few moments ago when I was so gently reminded about it when reading cool Texas facts. Frito pie is basically a bag of Fritos, beans, sometimes chili, and cheese. Then you shake the bag and you grab a plastic fork and prepare to have moderate heart burn for the next thirty or so minutes. They used to serve a version of this at my elementary school, and no lie, it was sort of my favorite meal. But you can get it at any basic fair or carnival. You can also get it from the guy who sells ice-cream and Lucas (basically lime-salt that kids put on their hands and then lick off). I haven't had Frito Pie in a few years, but I'm starting to get a craving for it. I'm also just really hungry right now. Don't worry, it's worth it. 

3. Tamales
As we speak, I am plagued with thoughts of last Christmas when I ate five tamales and then decided to try a cigarette for the first time. Great. I'm puking now. Needless to say that I did not enjoy the rest of my night and I especially did not enjoy that cigarette. But tamales are the best because they are wrapped individually which means you can shove them into your purse and take them with you on the go. Plus the ones filled with pork bless my dreams. And actually, the vegetarian ones that my stepsister made weren't too bad either. She also like doused them in queso, which is proven to make anything and everything taste just a little bit better. 

So there you have it! Three great foods that I'm pretty sure I could live without, but, like, I don't want to. And if you know all these foods, great! I'm sorry that I  told you about things that you already knew.

2 comments:

  1. I love how foods from home, regardless of where "home" is for you, always nestle their way into your deepest food desires and dreams.

    I've never had breakfast tacos. Or Frito pie. And, to lose all credibility, I should admit that I've also never had authentic tamales.

    But I LOVE queso. Come to think of it, I could write a haiku extolling the virtues of queso.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frito pies remind me of "Walking Tacos" that are served by the Mexican place in the South Dining Halls. It's basically taco toppings put into a bag of Doritos that are shaken together. You should definitely go try them the next time you're craving a Frito pie.

    ReplyDelete